- If a relative dies at home the next steps depend on whether the death was sudden or expected.
- If expected, the Deceased will have been attended to by his or her GP recently. The first/initial call should be made to this doctor who will be required to visit the home to confirm death has occurred. If the death occurs out of hours, an alternative number may be given to contact a locum doctor. The locum will visit to confirm death has occurred. Your GP should then be contacted during normal working hours to advise that death has occurred.
- Once death has been confirmed the Funeral Director should be called.
- In the case of a sudden death the Coroner may decide the Deceased cannot be moved from the home. They may request that a particular Funeral Director under contract to the Coroner’s Service be called to remove the body to the local hospital for post mortem. It is important to note that in this case, the family may utilise an alternative Funeral Director to make the funeral arrangements for them.
- If the death is unexpected, the first call should be made to the Deceased’s G.P. who was attending during his or her last illness. The GP may advise that the family contact their nearest Garda Station, as the Gardaí may wish to contact the Coroner. If contacting the GP out of hours normally a number for an out of hours/locum doctor will be given; once contacted they will arrange for a doctor to call to the house. the Funeral Director should be contacted at this stage.
- In the event of any death at home the family may also wish to contact a Priest or Minister of their faith.
Our reliable and caring staff are available 24/7 to meet the needs of local families in The Rosses, Gaoth Dobhair, Derrybeg, Bunbeg, Annagry, Ranafast, Brinlack, Knockfola, Dunlewey, Glassagh and throughout West Donegal.
Citizens Information have all the relevant information
All the information you need about registering a death is available here
We offer a funeral pre planning service in which you or a loved one can plan and give any details you wish to have in the event of an untimely death. For more information, please
The cost of a funeral is made up of four main parts: the cost of the Coffin, Funeral Director’s Fees, Funeral Service Fees and Third Party Fees. We are happy to discuss these costs with you, and plan a service that fits with your wishes and your budget.